Thursday, January 21, 2010

A trio of hats

A couple of weeks ago, Scott received a get well card from the son of our former pastors. It was a nice little note and in it he mentioned that they had started downhill skiing. Scott was very touched and asked me if I had an earflap hat made up that he could send to Luke. I did not have a boy's hat done but told him it wouldn't take any time at all to make one.

I pulled out a skein of Malabrigo worsted in "Stone Chat" and my copy of Little Knitted Gifts and made one of "Kim's Hats".



Well, as near as we can figure, Luke is around 9 - 10 years old. (They've been gone several years.) And the hat I made was definitely an adult size hat. So I didn't put the earflaps on and put the hat in the "finished" basket. I pulled out a skein of Patons Shetland Chunky Tweed in charcoal and started again. This time I was more successful.



The yarn is an acrylic/wool blend and was really nice to knit. I bought another skein in red and will also use it for a hat.

Luke has an older sister, Lydia. I think she must be 12 - 13 by now. And even though the note was just from Luke, I couldn't send a hat to him and not one to Lydia. I looked in the "finished" basket and found this Button-tab Hat that just needed the buttons sewn on. I already had the buttons and it only took a minute to sew them on, so another gift was ready!



The yarn is Patons Classic Wool in "Lemongrass". I found the buttons at Joanne's Fabrics.

I'm on the decreases of yet another hat. This one is for Mike's older niece. Pictures after I finish it and the mittens I want to make to match.

6 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Conservative Knit Mom said...

Great hats! I love lemongrass one! The buttons look great! Is the charcoal hat the flap cap pattern from Cabin Fever? I love their patterns-- so clever! All the hats look great(and warm)! I love the idea that you have a finished basket! I need to start one...it would be nice to go and pull out a hat when I need too.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Sue said...

This hat isn't a Cabin Fever Flap Cap. It's one of Kim's Hats from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I do love the Cabin Fever pattern, though.

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Fran said...

Nice hats... hats are such a relaxing project. Don't be shy with earflaps on older kids and adults... I started making earflap hats 2 years ago and got requests from friends and relatives of all ages - I was really surprised as how many older kids and young adults were requesting them.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger AmyS said...

I love all of hats! How lovely that he sent that letter.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Oh, wow, those are great!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on the Fair Isle!

Hope all is well in your world!
(((hugs)))

 
At 11:51 PM, Anonymous AlisonH said...

I was thinking that looked like Stonechat! Very nice, all of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home