Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Hospital knitting - Not!

I anticipated getting all sorts of hospital knitting done this weekend but that didn't really happen. While sitting in the waiting room Friday during the 7 hour surgery, I did not knit a stitch. I read a book and visited with family instead.

Once Scott was in ICU, I did do some knitting but not a terrific amount. And last night (3 days after the surgery), I brought him home. He insisted all along that he would be home in 3 days. Technically he was in there 4 days but it's still pretty remarkable. The ICU staff is all impressed with how well he is doing.

He did overdo it somewhat last night when we got home. He insisted he was walking down the driveway (which is a hill) to get the mail and newspaper. I went out to see how he was doing and found him sort of wobbling up the driveway. Needless to say, I had to guide him back up. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have made him stay at the bottom and driven the car down to pick him up. But that didn't occur to me until we were back in the house. This incident did drive home the fact that even though he's out of the hospital, he can't do any more than he did in the hospital.

Today will be spent buying all the things we need to keep him comfortable at home. But I'm not doing any shopping until my daughter gets here from Rochester. I think he still needs someone in the house at all times. But, overall, we're doing very well.

Thank you for the continued good thoughts!

3 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger Pegi Frostholm said...

Oh, thank heavens he's home! Prayers are with you both. Once your daughter gets there, do take a little time for yourself to rest, recharge, knit, whatever. Care for the caregiver is important, too!

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Nana Sadie said...

Glad you're back in your own element, but it might be good to stay with him when he does any "activity" because the body is funny after surgery...he doesn't yet know how it will react! (tho' believe me, he thinks he does - ask me how I know? *wink*)
Like walking to the mailbox, it's good to exercise but, very slowly and with someone near, *just* in case! And just for awhile...promise.
(((((Hugs)))))

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Just catching up on blog reading and I'm glad to see that Scott is ok. I'll be praying for a speedy recovery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home