Thursday, April 05, 2007

Knitting beginnings

I think I first learned to knit around age 8 or 9. I'm not completely sure but it must have been somewhere around then. And I'm not sure if my mother or my maternal grandmother taught me but it was one or both of them. But all they taught me was how to knit and purl. I'm not even sure how long I continued to knit after I first learned but I suspect it wasn't long. Fast forward to me after I was married but before I had children. That would put me between the ages of 23 and 26. I remember wanting to make Barbie doll clothes for my husband's nieces but I didn't know how to increase or decrease. Decreasing was a no brainer but I had to find a knitting how-to book and decipher the written directions on knitting into the front and back of a stitch. The great thing about doll clothes is that they are very small so if you goof up, you can rip back and start over without too much angst. I did learn how to K f&b and to decrease. And I made quite a few doll clothes for the nieces. Now those nieces have little girls of their own. And I still have those pattern books from almost 30 years ago.

All this came to mind when I was trying to think of something quick to make for the Palm Sunday charity auction at church last week. I only had a week and wanted something I could work up quickly. I had recently purchased two American School of Needlework pattern books of fashion doll clothes and wanted to try some of the patterns. So I went to A. C. Moore and picked up a couple of inexpensive fashion dolls and made some clothes for them.





The evening gown pattern and the burgundy blouse pattern were in the new pattern books. The burgundy skirt was from one of my old pattern books. The tube top and the two dresses were patterns I found online. And the scarves and the multicolored skirt I made up. The multicolored skirt is crocheted as is the scarf/shawl that matches it. I thought they all turned out well. I bought two canvas bags to hold the dolls and clothes. A little girl at church now has two dolls and several outfits to play with and I had fun making them.

I have good news to report on my sock. As you can see, I managed to find the right place in the yarn pattern to start after undoing the knot. This picture shows the sock a couple rows into the heel flap. In real time, the heel flap is done and it's time to turn the heel now.



I have also been working on a prayer shawl. I'm going to try and start a prayer shawl group at church. I can't remember the name of the shawl pattern I'm using and since I'm at work, I'll have to post it at another time. I am using Plymouth Encore Colours in a gray/lt. blue/white colorway. Updates and photos on this project will be in a future post.

Thank you to everyone who commiserated with me on the knot in the yarn. And I thankfully don't have any unhappy medical news, Amy, but thank you for your concern.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're well and having so much success with your knitting! Love the doll clothes, and your socks are fabulous, as I knew they would be.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

OMG those clothes are so cute! A little girl will be so happy to receive such a nice gift! Glad you were able to save the sock! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home