Thursday, March 08, 2007

Still doing socks

I finished the 56 stitch, 56 row sock. It wasn't completely done on Saturday. I kitchenered the toe on Sunday morning. I don't know what I did wrong the first time but I had to take the grafting out and do it over again. It worked fine the second time. I've never had a problem with the Kitchener stitch before.




It took me 10 days to make this sock. I stopped at 50 rows on the foot instead of 56 because I thought it would be too long. It fits but I think I will do the entire 56 rows if I make these socks again. I did start the second sock but I'm still on the cuff. I got distracted by this sock.

Here is a close up of the pattern stitch

I'm using Atacama handpainted alpaca that I had in my stash and size US 3 needles. The pattern calls for 2 1/2 repeats of the pattern on the leg but I have done 4 repeats here. The original pattern is for an ankle sock and I'd rather have a longer leg. It's very easy to memorize, though. And the little bit thicker yarn and bigger needles make it work up quite fast. I don't think I'm going to continue the pattern into the foot. I think it would be a little uncomfortable to wear with shoes.

I hope I have enough yarn to finish them. I have 3 skeins of it. I don't feel like I'm running short yet.

Tonight is supposed to be the coldest night of the winter with temperatures of -14 degrees F. The temperatures have been in the teens and low 20's for the past two days. Just bone chilling. Oh, and it's snowing again this morning. What a surprise! On the bright side, it's supposed to be in the 40's by the weekend.

I have the beginning of a cold which is not making me very happy. But with all the nasty stuff that is traveling about, I will take the cough and runny nose and hope it doesn't evolve into something more.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:53 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Your socks are gorgeous! I love the pattern on the red one. It really looks neat!

Ruinwen
:)

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love both socks! Very different, and both beautiful. I hop eou feel better, and don't get a full-fledged cold. Stay warm!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Theresa said...

Lovely colors!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home