Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Brrr!

Winter has arrived in central NY. The temperatures are in the 20's at night and only reach the middle 30's during the day. And we've had some snow. I don't know why people seem so surprised, it happens every year.

I finished up one pair of mittens for afghans for Afghans.



I used Elizabeth Durand's Classic Pattern for Children's Mittens which can be found on the A4A website. The yarn is Plymouth Galway Worsted in Pink Marl on size US 6 double points.

I love using this yarn. I wish one of the local shops carried it. This skein was found in the sale bin at Patternworks when I was there a couple of summers ago. There is one shop in Barneveld (about 45 minutes away) that carries some Galway and also has Plymouth Encore. I would really like to get up there on Saturday and stock up a little on these two yarns. It depends on the weather and what Saturday brings.

I'm getting close to the end of the baby bunting. As you can see here, the front is done.



The sleeves are done and I have 3 more inches on the back before starting the raglan decreases. Then it's a matter of sewing in the sleeves, picking up and knitting the neckband, and sewing in the zipper. I should be able to accomplish all this before Sunday. In fact, I'd like to finish it by Friday. Then, if I have enough yarn left, I'd like to make a hat to go with it.

Once this bunting is done, I'm not sure what to work on next. Scott needs warm mittens, I have tons of partially finished pairs of socks, there are a couple unfinished baby sweaters hanging about, I want to knit some things for charity, and I don't have enough time to do most of it.

So, I think I'm going to make my daughter a lace gaiter from the November 2008 issue of Creative Knitting. It should be a very quick knit. I have two skeins of Plymouth Yarn Suri Merino (55% alpaca, 45% extrafine merino wool) in a light rose that will look perfect. And I may have accidently cast on for it last night and knit the first two rows.

All I can say is I'm very glad I'm not knitting Christmas gifts this year!


1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Bo... said...

It's cold here, too. I love the mittens--they'll be very appreciated. I just made my ex's mother a scarf in the Galway worsted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home