Monday, August 01, 2005

New technique for me!



I learned how to do Fair Isle colorwork while we were in Lake Placid last week. We went to Adirondack Yarns and she had some samples of Fair Isle hats made from baby alpaca. They were sooo soft and I loved the pattern. She had put up some kits with the baby alpaca and the pattern so I bought one. I also bought three colors of Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Bulky to practice on before I use the alpaca. So this picture is my first attempt. I was very, very happy with the way it turned out. I even knit with a strand of yarn in each hand. I don't know if the bulky yarn makes the tension more even but there's no puckering. I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the hat but it is nice and even, too.




After my success with the first hat, I went back to the yarn store and bought a Cabin Fever pattern for this hat and three more colors of Lamb's Pride. I finished the knitting on this hat on the way home from Lake Placid yesterday and haven't had a chance to weave in the ends yet. There are 4 i-cord tassels on top but only two show up in this picture. I think this one turned out well, too.

We had a great time in Lake Placid. There is so much to do there. I am going to save my comments on the trip for another post. It's getting late and I'm very tired. Until next time...

6 Comments:

At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hats! I love colorwork.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Mitchypoo said...

Bravo! They are beautiful and i'm impressed if that's your first attempt with Fair Isle. Love the colors too.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Jenn said...

Beautiful!!! I have always been intimidated by Fair Isle.....

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Flo Moyer said...

I'm impressed with the hats. You did great work. :-)

I like reading your blog, by the way, and come back from time to time.
Flo

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your hats Sue!
Thank you so much for posting the site (Philosophers Wool I belive)for those of us who are intimidated by Fair Isle!
I may just give this a go afterall!
Hugs,
KitP.S. Thank you for changing my blog addy in your sidebar!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Wow! Great Fair Isle! You really should be proud! You've made FI look fun! Enough so that I may give it another go after looking at that tutorial you talked about.

Ruinwen
:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home