Friday, October 07, 2005

Behold the absent blogger!

So let's see - since I posted last I've finished the multidirectional scarf and the charity mittens and scarf as show in the next two pictures.


And while in Lake Placid I bought some Art Yarns "Supermerino" #117 yarn in a gray, cream colorway shown here:


The Lake Placid trip went as expected except we had a little less rain than we thought. Scott ran a personal best for the race coming in at 1 hour 45 minutes. Not bad for a 51 year old man running for 13.1 miles, eh? By the time I got to Adirondack Yarns it was 5:10 p.m. and she closes at 5 p.m. Luckily for me she was still there running the vacuum cleaner. And she's the type of store owner I like - she doesn't mind keeping the place open for a customer. So I bought 2 skeins of Art Yarns "Supermerino" and the book "Knit Hats" edited by Gwen Steege. It's the book that's shaped like a hat. I really should have bought 3 skeins of the merino but I was hurrying so I didn't keep her too long and I just didn't think.

The Saturday after we got back from Lake Placid, we packed up and headed to Cape Cod for a week. The trailer stayed home this time and we rented a house in North Truro with Scott's oldest sister and her husband, and his middle brother and his wife. We had a very nice week out there. My only complaint is that I only made it to one yarn shop and one craft store. There are three yarn shops I like out there. Danalee, Vicki and I did a trip to The Ladybug Shop in Dennis. Danalee (Scott's sister) knits a little but got bored very quickly. Vicki and I spent quite a bit of time in the store. I ended up buying 3 skeins of Noro "Kureyon" #163 (blues and purples), 2 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold's "Silky Wool" in #12 (rose), and 3 skeins of Art Yarns "Supermerino" #123 (blues, greens, teal). The Silky Wool was on sale which made me happy. And they had just received their supply of Art Yarn so I got first choice. Then on the way back to Truro (which is about 40 minutes from Dennis), we stopped in Brewster at the Brewster Bookstore and right across the street is a small shopping plaza that has a small craft store. A couple of years ago I bought a hank of Manukau Yarns "Charisma" #954 (shades of blue and purple) 100% New Zealand wool for half price there. This hank has 387 yards of wool and I paid $14.95 for it. Not bad! So we went in and while the yarn selection was very, very limited (mostly Patons and Lion Brand novelty yarn), she did have some Strompegarn "Silja" sock yarn on sale. I bought 3 skeins in #329 (rust, copper, gray). I'll post pictures of the yarn when I can get a good picture. It's raining and gray right now.

I didn't buy any pattern books but a few days later Vicki and I went to a used bookstore in Wellfleet and I found an issue of Vogue Knitting from 1993 that is all kids' things. I was a little disappointed that I didn't find more knitting books since last year I found a copy of Alice Starmore's "Book of Fair Isle Knitting" there for $6.00. But I was very excited when I found an Emily Loring book that I have been searching for for a few years now. This book was published in 1947 so it's kind of hard to find. Emily Loring wrote quite a few romantic suspense books back around the time of World War II. My mother had most of them and I read them all. This one was the first one I read and my favorite but Mom's copy disappeared sometime ago and I've been searching ever since then. I was very happy to find it.

That's my quick update for now. I have some pictures I'll post soon of Cape Cod and other knitting stuff. Now that we aren't dashing off too soon, I hope to keep a little more up to date here. Although we are going back to the Cape the end of October so Scott can run the Cape Cod Marathon in Falmouth. I'm not sure if anyone else is going with us but I hope to hit a few yarn shops while I'm there!!

2 Comments:

At 11:31 PM, Blogger Sue said...

This is a test to see if comments will show up on my blog.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily Loring was a favorite of mine also. I too just found the first of her books I ever read-quite a thrill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home