Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I love yarn surprises...

I love discovering a yarn shop where I didn't think any existed. When we went to Wellesley Island last week, I was resigned to the fact that there wasn't anywhere to buy yarn. I took plenty of my own so I wouldn't lack for knitting projects. Well, we were shopping in Alexandria Bay and went into Good Dog Charlies to check out their Vera Bradley bags. Allie and I were happily looking at all the great Vera stuff when Sue called out from behind us. I turned and lo, and behold, yarn! Nice yarn. Cascade and Colinette yarn and lots of others. Apparently, the owner decided that the area needed a nice yarn shop and is planning on expanding her stock immensely. She said something about wanting to have the largest yarn shop in the North Country (or something to that effect). Unfortunately, we found the yarn shop on our way out of Alexandria Bay and had already spent quite a bit of time looking at the Vera bags so the guys were getting very antsy. So I only bought two skeins of Cascade 220 in a great grape color for a felting project. Next year, though, we'll plan on spending a lot of time in there.

I didn't get much knitting done on vacation. (I read 3 1/2 books instead.) I made a small dishcloth on the ride up to the St. Lawrence, worked on a baby sweater, and started my felting project using the Cascade I bought. I was a bit stumped as to how I was going to wind the yarn since I knew Scott wouldn't hold it for me. Then I spotted the kitchen stools that we have in the trailer and knew that they would make a great temporary swift. The picture is a little dark but you get the idea. (This yarn is some handspun I put on for demonstration purposes.)



On a shopping trip into Clayton, I bought the book "Knit Christmas Stockings!" which is edited by Gwen Steege. It's shaped like a Christmas stocking. Now that I can do color work, I'd like to tackle some of these stockings and ornaments.

Friday morning Sue, Allie and I took a basketweaving class at the Nature Center. I used to make and sell baskets and have made over 100 of them but I haven't done one in probably 6 or 7 years. So even though I know how to weave them, I forgot a lot of the steps. It was a nice refresher course. The instructor was about 23 but she did an excellent job.



Here's the blueberry basket I made. Sue and Allie had never made baskets and did a great job. I think I'm going to order some reed and start making them again. They made great gifts.

We had a nice vacation week and I was sorry to leave. Ariane, Alek and one of Ariane's friends came up Friday night and stayed until we left on Sunday morning. We played games and drank too much wine Saturday night and had a ball.

And now it's time to get ready to go back to work. And it's a month before we head out for our last camping trip of the season. Yuck!!

3 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Blogger Joni said...

What a sweet basket. Love it.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

Love the basket!

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Sue;

Thanks so much for my Raok from Lake Placid NY. I was there breifly ten years ago. my Mother in law has a house in Old Forge. I don't visit but the family was there whoel I was at the Michigan fiber Festival. We camp too but in a pop-up. Who knows maybe we'll bump up to a trailer soon too. I love the basket too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home