Saturday, October 15, 2005

How many skeins?!

There has been a little thread over at the yarn yoga list about how many skeins of yarn some people have in their stash. I've been saying for a long time that I have way too many skeins, hanks, balls, etc. of yarn but I never counted them. Well, this morning I did. I counted all the full and mostly full skeins, balls, etc. of yarn that I found stashed around the house. I did not count the yarn that is on needles waiting to be finished. That's another paragraph entirely! And I think I have a box of sport weight yarn in the attic that is over 20 years old and that didn't get counted because I didn't find it. But the actual number that I counted today was 629!! And if I remember correctly there must be another 20 skeins in that uncounted box in the attic.

Here are two pictures of the contents of one of my yarn boxes. This is what I call my baby yarn. It's mostly pastel colors and sport, dk or baby weight but there are some skeins of worsted in there, too.



That is enough yarn to keep me busy for a year and that's only a small fraction of what I have! It's an obsession and I need to go on a yarn diet immediately!!

In addition to my yarn stash, I have a UFO stash. I made a partial list of UFOs the other day and it totals 30 projects languishing on the needles in various places around the house. And I didn't count that yarn in my stash totals. And it doesn't account for all the UFOs either. I need to also get a rotation schedule going so I can finish up some of these projects. That or frog them so I can use the yarn for something else.

The present project that needs to be finished by next Saturday (Oct. 22) is a baby bunting. I found the pattern in an old Workbasket magazine and I'm doing it in Patons Candiana "Rainbow" worsted weight. Since I don't know the sex of the baby, I thought the bright primary colors would be suitable for either a girl or a boy. I'm not taking a picture of it until it's done. Every time I take a pic of a work in progress, all progress stops on it. So when it's finished, I'll post it. It works from bottom up and I'm on the raglan decreases for the sleeves on the back. Then I have to do the front, sleeves, neckband, and sew in a zipper. I hope I can get it done in time for the shower. I could get a Precious Layettes sweater done much faster but I want to do the bunting to get the "Oooh" factor. It's a blatant cry for attention but I don't care. I like to hear that I have some talent however small. LOL!

Now I need to clean my poor house. We've been gone so many weekends this summer that it's pretty neglected. And I think a couple friends are coming over this afternoon to knit or cross stitch so I need to get it done now. Then I can knit this afternoon!!

4 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW - I am so jealous!!!! I can't even imagine having a killer stash like yours. It's like your own little store. Can I come shopping at your house? lol

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Sure! Then I can go out shopping for new yarn. LOL!

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Flo Moyer said...

Sue--my mouth dropped open! Wow. I thought I had a lot, but I don't think I have more than maybe 100 skeins, tops. As for ufo's, just one. Great blog.
Flo

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this is an old post... I just found you from your link at the Victorian Shawl KAL (Welcome, btw!).

First of all... WOW! What a stash! I think your baby yarn just about equals my total yarn. I think your stash probably rivals Anne's (also of the Victorian Shawl KAL).

Also, you mentioned having 30 projects on the needles. I so feel your "pain". I have 22 or 23 WIPs. I'm all about variety, but with that many, I just never get to work on most of them, so it's rather pointless having them there. I'd like to get my list down to 8 (1 in each of a few categories, like scarves, sweaters, socks, gift items, etc.) I joined this group, to help me get a handle on it:

http://knittywip.blogspot.com/

HTH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home