Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Who ordered snow?!

I guess our mild winter has headed somewhere else for a while. After weeks of no snow, we now have about 4" out there. It's supposed to snow all day and there is the possibility of up to 18" but I don't think that's going to happen unless a big band of lake effect snow heads our way.

Two weeks ago Sue, Donna and I took advantage of the great weather and headed for Sybil's Yarn Shop in Cooperstown. (1037 State Route 166, Cooperstown, NY (607)286-7603)

The shop was in more disarray than usual but the yarn was fabulous as usual. She had bought some handspun, handpainted yarns from a woman in Vermont that were fabulous. Farmhouse Yarns was the name on the tags. It came in different weights and was named for each sheep the wool came from. She also had Mango Moon yarn along with Cascade, Classic Elite, many more that I can't remember now.

We poked around in her "discount" closet and found "cheeses" of unspun yarn for $2.00 a piece.



I picked up 5 cheeses, Donna bought one, and Sue bought 4. Sue and I aren't sure what we're going to do with them yet but Donna is carrying it along with wool in a pair of mittens to make a nice warm layer.

Some day I have to remember to ask her if the cones of yarn in the discount closet are $2.00 a piece, too. They would be a great buy!

It was hard to decide what yarn I wanted to buy but I managed. I was looking for something to make another Irish Hiking scarf and finally decided on Cascade "Pastaza" in a nice raspberry color. Originally I was thinking of making myself this scarf but then I found a pretty blue colorway of Lana Gatto "Musa" that will match my blue jacket perfectly. It's 53% wool, 47% acrylic and feels like mohair. So I wound it up and started "Misty Garden" from "Scarf Style" by Pam Allen.



I finished up my purchases with three skeins of Patons "Colours". One is a single skein that I'll probably use for charity hats and mittens. Then I bought two skeins in another color that is going to become a baby sweater, hat, and booties. I have two nieces that are pregnant. One with twins! So baby knitting is definitely in my future.



After the yarn shop, we went into Cooperstown for lunch and stopped in at my favorite used bookstore on Main Street. Donna had never been there and was quite impressed. This place is stuffed to the rafters with every book imaginable as long as it's hard cover. No paperbacks. I picked up three mysteries for $18.00. One was signed so it cost a little more. Unfortunately, there never seems to be any knitting books.

For our next yarn shopping road trip, Sue and I want to go to Old Forge to the Old Forge Hardware store. Don't let the name fool you. This place has hardware and everything else you might possibly need. Including gourmet cookware and clothing.

A couple of years ago they put in a yarn section and it's great. And it's one of the closest places to us that carries Brown Sheep yarn. Plus they have Noro and lots more. But Old Forge is in the Adirondack Park and is a snowmobile, skiing haven so it gets a lot of snow. I guess we'll wait until another nice springlike day in winter to go.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Everything is so beautiful! I love the yarn you are making your scarf with. The pattern really shows it off!

Ruinwen
:)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Carol & Christine said...

You sound like you had a great trip. Can't wait to see all of the baby items your going to make.

Spring is in the air. You're next shopping trip isnt too far off.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Tallguy said...

Yes, I love shopping at the thrift shops, and sometimes I find those cheeses too. I snap up each one I can get-- usually for $2 each too. These come in 6 strands and are usually knit into bulky sweaters and they look really good all the time. You can carry them along when knitting mittens, floating on the inside and bringing them up every 5-6 stitches. Creates a very nice pattern.

I will separate the strands, and then spin them. I can do this on a spindle or a wheel, and then make 2-or 3-ply yarns from them. This is very easy, since they are pre-drafted already, and all you need is a little twist. Looks very good, and I love your colours-- they would spin up very nicely!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home