Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Love/hate relationship with socks

I really want to like making socks. I look at all the beautiful sock patterns and yarns out there and I want them all. I have a pair of socks I made myself that I love to wear. I want to give socks as gifts. But so many times I get to the heel flap and set the sock down for months. Why? I know how to do the flap and turn a heel. I don't even have problems picking up the gusset stitches.

It might have something to do with how long it takes me to make a pair of socks on size 1 or 2 needles. But, if I work on a sock faithfully, I can get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

Oh well, enough lamenting. It's time to get serious about socks. One way I figured I would push myself to make socks was to join the Sock of the Month 4 KAL. (Click on the button in my sidebar for more info.) I joined the SAM3KAL late and only finished two of the four pairs I was supposed to make. I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to join the next round but I decided to look at the final socks that people had made. And I immediately signed up for the 4th round.

Of course, now I had to get a pair of socks made. I was working on a pair while in New Hampshire that are made from Moda Dea "Sassy Stripes" on size US 3 double points. I worked on that sock for the whole week and almost finished it. Unfortunately, I hated working with the 100% acrylic yarn. I had to switch from Crystal Palace bamboo needles to metal needles to finish the foot. Here is a picture of it just before I finished the toe decreases.



It looks nice but believe me, it was torture! Then I tried grafting the toe late at night and it looks terrible. Oh, I think it's salvageable but I left it in disgust. I dread making the second sock.

Now it's getting toward the end of August and I didn't have socks done for the KAL. I know I can't get a pair of socks made on size 1 or 2 needles with sock weight yarn in time. I'm just not fast enough. Then I remembered that to be eligible for this KAL, they don't have to be adult socks. Baby or child size socks will do. Plus Afghans for Afghans is asking for warm wool socks for kids from ages 7 - 14.

Ta da! A pair of warm wool socks made in Patons Classic Wool on size US 5 needles. It's the "Good Earth" colorway.



I cast on 40 stitches to make the child's medium size but accidently made the foot 6" long instead of 5" long. Since they are for charity, I'm sure they will fit someone. I started the socks on August 21st and finished them on the 27th. The second sock was started in the car on a trip to Rochester to Ariane. 2 1/2 hours to get there, knitting on them for most of the day, and then the 2 1/2 hour trip home knitting in the dark. I was on the foot by the time we were coming home so I didn't need to see what I was knitting. As so I have my August socks completed for the KAL with a few days to spare!

I dug out two more skeins of the Patons Classic Wool in varigated colors and started another pair yesterday. These are in the "RoseWood" colorway. The socks need to be sent to A4A by September 12th. If I finish up two more pairs, I'll have my September socks done for the KAL, too.

6 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Blogger Carol & Christine said...

I too, suffer from second sock syndrome.

It looks like your jogging along with the Paton's socks. Good for you! The sense of accomplishment should be overwhelming you!

I like the Good Earth Colorway. I may have to copy you and make one of my nieces a pair.

uhhhh... dont hold me to that though....

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

Lovely socks. The Rosewood colorway is really pretty. I've been making socks like crazy. I love, love, love making socks and I always have one with me. Good luck on your sock goals! :)

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Windyridge said...

Beautiful socks

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger BAAbins said...

Your knitting is lovely! I cruised back thru your blog and could not believe the Barbie clothes. Fantastic!
I'll be watching for your socks on SAM4! Keep up the great work!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Bo... said...

Love your socks!! I recently began knitting with size 1's--and at first I thought I'd never get the socks finished in my lifetime, heh! But after I did a few, I noticed that I didn't mind that it takes longer, especially after the heel when it's all downhill. I do like the fabric I get with size 1's. (But chasing those teeny little dropped stitches is a little more work than I like!)

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Bibliocat said...

Nice sock... I hated knitting socks because of the blankety blank grafting stitch and picking up stitches. NOW... I love knitting socks (even though I have the sss right now) because I found the toe up patterns. NO grafting and no picking up of gusset stitches. I think they knit up faster than top down or it could be that I enjoy knitting socks now.
Sheryl
www.whoknits.com/bibliocat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home