Sunday, December 10, 2006

So maybe I was mistaken...

Maybe there will be a little Christmas going on here after all. The new issue of Knitty came the other day and I loved this pattern. It would be a perfect gift for several people I know. I'm just not sure how many I'll have time to make.

It is Calorimetry designed by Kathyrn Schoendorf.



And here is another shot of it.



I started the pattern last night, knit to the halfway point, and then finished it today during the hour drive to my sister-in-law's house in Syracuse. Really fast and fun to knit. The only mistake I made was to bind it off in knit instead of knit 2, purl 2. I won't do that again.

I used Tesco by di.ve', color 25565 on size 8 needles. It's 55% wool and 45% microfibre and very soft. I think the gauge may be off by a little. It fits me fine but feels like it could be a little tighter to my head. It's going to Ariane, though, and she had more hair than I do so I hope it'll fit better. If she doesn't like the fit, I can just whip up another one! I have already cast on the second one in Art Yarns Super Merino, I believe. (The shop owner put her price sticker over the name of the yarn and I can't peel it off to read it. I really hate that!)

There are no pictures of the stranded hat I am making Ariane's boyfriend. I ripped it out 4 times before I finally got it right. Stupid mistakes each time but they were unfixable mistakes. It is now correct and I'm up to row 8 of the pattern. I haven't had a quiet time to work on it but I need to get back to it.

The mittens went to church today to be given to the family we adopted for the holiday. I was going to do booties for the 4 month old baby but did a pair of thumbless mittens, instead. I did my two needle pattern using Patons Astra sportweight yarn and size 4 needles and just eliminated the thumb. They are shown here next to a pair of the same mittens done in worsted weight yarn on size 7 needles. I cast on 24 stitches for each set and increased to 30 stitches after the cuff. This is the difference between sportweight and worsted weight yarn and different needles sizes.



And then we have another cute picture of Isabella. She likes to sit with her chin propped up on the arm of the love seat. We think she knows she looks cute this way and everyone has to pet her when she does this. Her favorite dog is sitting next to her.



Tomorrow we're going to Carousel Mall in Syracuse to hopefully finish the bulk of our Christmas shopping. That's the same hour drive we took today and I should be able to get a lot done on the second Calorimetry.

6 Comments:

At 5:59 AM, Blogger Bianca said...

Sounds like a good idea to make one for my daughter. She has long hair, and this scarf would keep her eyes free :-) Thank you for the tip

 
At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've inspired me! I picked up some yarn today to make a Caliometry for Liat (who has long hair and hasn't been thrilled by the hat patterns I've shown her). Hope I can get it done on the sly before the end of Chanukah. :o)

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely knits and such a cute 'puppy'! thanks for sharing...

 
At 7:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I've been thinking of making a Caliometry as well.. I may have to go ahead and start one once all Christmas presents are finished, purchased and wrapped.

Can I borrow your doggy? ... oh, what's that? You'll want her back? ;o)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Janet said...

I just had opened my copy of the magazine last night and noticed the Caliometry. Thought it was a neat idea. Will try one for myself and my daughter that has long hair.

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stopping by really quick to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home