Thursday, September 07, 2006

Maine yarn shopping

While we were in Maine, we stopped at two yarn stores. The first was The Lilac Lily in Southwest Harbor which is south of Bar Harbor.



It is a whole house and has knitting supplies and yarn on the first floor and needlepoint canvases and supplies on the second floor. There is a wonderful selection of yarn. My purchases were two skeins of Wool in the Woods Star City wool in the Lottery colorway, a skein of Lamb's Pride Worsted in Blue Boy, and a copy of the Stained Glass Hat pattern by Green Mountain Spinnery.





Here's a close up of the Wool in the Woods colors. There are 200 yards per skein so I have 400 yards to play with. I think I may try the diagonal scarf pattern that is in the Morehouse Farms "Merino Knits" book.



The second yarn shop was Bee's Yarns right in Bar Harbor. I didn't have my camera that day so I didn't get a picture of the shop. There are so many wonderful yarns in this shop and what did I buy? Plymouth Yarn Encore Colorspun in a pretty gray/blue/white colorway and five skeins of Lamb's Pride Worsted - Autumn Harvest, Clematis, Wild Oak, Misty Blue, and Raspberry. In my defense, I can't get either of these yarns anywhere near me. I did keep fondling the Malabrigo that is there but at $11.00 a skein, I didn't want to buy any without having a pattern in mind. The Lamb's Pride will hopefully be used in the Stained Glass pattern.



I also bought a pair of Inox size 6 (4 mm) needles at Bee's. Most US size 6 needles are 4.25 mm and the Sirdar baby patterns that I use call for 4 mm.

And that was my yarn shopping experience while in the state of Maine. I was really disappointed that we weren't closer to some of the wonderful yarn places such as Bartlett, Halcyon Yarns, Peace Fleece, etc. I could buy those yarns in the places I stopped but with Scott making grumbly noises about the amount of yarn I have, I restrained myself. I figure he loved it in Acadia Park so much that we will be going back and I'll get some then. Gotta always be thinking!!

4 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

Wow, gorgeous yarn! Have a wonderful time with it. Why is it that no matter how much great yarn we have, we can always be tempted by something else?

I need to e-mail you - I want to ask you some questions about RVing. We're already planning our 2007 trip.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Carol & Christine said...

Lots of pretties to play with! I think I should go with you next time.

Ya know.. help you spend more money!

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Bianca said...

Wonderful yarn picks Sue.

 
At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue, I love your pictures of Maine and especially Bar Harbour. I used to live in New York City and when my kids were small the family travelled to Bar Harbor. I just loved it. Anita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home