Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Here a group, there a group...

I was looking at the website of my hometown library one day and discovered that they have a knitting group that meets on Tuesdays. And since I only live 5 minutes away from there, I naturally had to check it out.

I walked in and the first person I saw was my mother's former landlady. Mary is also the great grandmother of my youngest sister's daughters. Now, I hope the great grandmother part doesn't give you visions of a doddering old lady. She is anything but! She is very active in many groups and is a fantastic painter The rest of the group (and there are a lot of them) is a mix of all ages. Wendy is probably in her late twenties/early thirties and drives a half hour to join in. She lived in Baltimore until this past June when she moved to the area. She lives out in the boonies and loves it. Several of the ladies know my mother. Another Mary (who wasn't there the first night I joined) kept looking at me and I finally heard her say to person sitting next to her "she looks like a Fay". I looked over at her, smiled, and said "That's because my mother was a Fay". She grew up with my mother and her sisters as did a couple of others. So it is a little like coming home to be in this group. And I really enjoy the conversations that flow around the table.

The knitting group at the library here is starting up tomorrow night. I would like to go but may have to stay home and pack. We are heading to Cape Cod on Saturday for our annual fall trip. So I'll have to see how much I have done. Knowing me, probably not enough. But I feel a little obligated to go. This group is not as well organized, not as well attended, and meets sporadically but I have been going since it began. So I'll go and see if it is going to be an active group.

Red Heart has a new yarn - McIntosh. It's a 70% acrylic, 30% wool blend and the colors are marled. I bought a skein of the Heather colorway at A.C. Moore and used it to make a pair of mittens. This picture is of one finished mitten and the second in progress.



The yarn is soft and thick feeling. I loved working with it and want to get more. There is 122 yards per skein and I had enough to finish the pair of mittens with a couple yards left over.


That's it for tonight and probably until after I get back from Cape Cod on Oct. 1st. Here is one more picture to enjoy. This is the North Bridge in Concord, Massachusetts. This is where the first battle of the Revolutionary War took place. We stopped for two nights in Massachusetts on our way back from Maine and went to Concord to visit the Minute Man National Park. If you like American History, it's well worth the trip.

6 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Indigo said...

The McIntosh looks yummy, will have to see if my AC Moore has it.

Have fun on your trip... I have to poke my hubbins into a Vinyard or Cape trip next year. Maybe we'll get to Block Island before it gets too cool.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the mcintosh does look nice. have a great fall vacation!

 
At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, we were so close to the Minute Man park, then turned back! I knew we should have kept going. We went to the museum in Concord, instead - and it was fabulous. They even had handknit stockings there.

Have a great trip!

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Bianca said...

A beautiful colour for mittens :-)

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Ruinwen Dagorielle said...

The Mcintosh looks so cozy! The mittens are really beautiful.

I know this is late but I hope you have a nice vacation.

Ruinwen
:)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Nana Sadie said...

So glad you found a nice group! And the mittens are gorgeous...love the color!
(((hugs)))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home