After much trial and error, I finished the Lusekofte Cap from Hats On! by Charlene Schurch. Actually I finished it twice. The first hat was 132 stitches on size 6 needles. I was on the 3rd to the last row and I knew that something was very off. After closer examination I found this
If you look closely at the right side of this blurry picture, you can just make out a dropped stitch. Actually there are two dropped stitches. I tried to rip it back but ended up with a mess. Too many stitches to pick up in too little time. The mistakes were found on December 23rd. The hat was supposed to be finished by Christmas. So I cast on 108 stitches with size 9 needles and started over again. Luckily the pattern is easy to follow. And yesterday morning (not Christmas) I ended up with this hat:
I think it came out quite well. And here is a picture of the inside of the hat.
The finished hat was knit in Patons Classic Merino. The disaster hat was knit in Cascade 220. I tried doing the decrease rows on the disaster hat with double points and lost control of them somewhere. The good hat I used 2 circular needles for the decreases and it was much easier. It surprises me since I do hats with double points all the time. But now I think I'm going to use the 2 circulars to finish my hats.
The hat is supposed to have a long tassel on it hence the pointy top. I'm not sure how the recipient will feel about a tassel so I'm going to be sure it is easily removed. And, just in case he doesn't like the pointy top, I'm making a k2, p2 ribbed hat in Lamb's Pride worsted weight in Blue Boy which is basically the same color blue as the other two hats.
Next up on the needles is a k2, p2 ribbed scarf in what I think is burgundy Encore. I can't find the ball band or the second skein right now so I'm not sure. The scarf is for the Red Scarf Project which gives scarves to orphans who are now college students.
And I need to start two more Calorimetrys for dd and her roommate. Ariane wants black and Ashley wants white. Not very exciting colors but very practical.
Then I hope to get back to the three pairs of socks that I started back in November. I've been wearing the socks I finished for myself and want to make more for me. But first these need to be done for some other people.